By Jorge V José
On the fortieth anniversary of the Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless concept (BKT), this informative quantity appears to be like again at many of the advancements and achievements and sundry physics functions which ensued from the gorgeous BKT vortex-unbinding seminal idea.
During the final 4 many years, BKT thought, that's undeniably essentially the most very important advancements in condensed subject and theoretical physics of the second one half the 20 th century, has accelerated largely. it's been used and prolonged from many various theoretical and experimental views. New and unforeseen positive factors were exposed from the BKT thought. seeing that its inception, except functions in condensed subject physics, the speculation has been actively utilized in different branches of physics, equivalent to excessive power physics, atomic physics, nuclear physics, statistical physics, nonlinear structures, and so on. This makes the idea an necessary subject for all who're interested in physics.
An foreign workforce of specialists, each one of whom has left his mark at the advancements of this awesome conception and experimental functions, give a contribution either old essays and extra specific present technical and experimental bills to this quantity. those articles spotlight the recent discoveries from the respective authors' perspectives.
This precise quantity celebrates the impression over 4 a long time of the BKT idea on sleek physics. as well as the old standpoint supplied by way of Kosterlitz and Thouless's assessment, the amount presents a complete description of experimental and theoretical functions and extensions of the BKT theory.
- Early paintings on disorder pushed section Transitions (J M Kosterlitz and D J Thouless)
- Duality, Gauge Symmetries, Renormalization teams and the BKT Transition (J V José)
- Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless Transition throughout the Eyes of Duality (G Ortiz, E Cobanera and Z Nussinov)
- The Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless Transition in Superconductors (A M Goldman)
- Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless Transition in the Sine–Gordon process: The function of the Vortex-Core power (L Benfatto, C Castellani and T Giamarchi)
- The Two-Dimensional totally pissed off XY version (S Teitel)
- Charges and Vortices in Josephson Junction Arrays (R Fazio and G Schön)
- Superinsulator–Superconductor Duality in Dimensions and Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless Transition (V M Vinokur and T I Baturina)
- BKT Physics with Two-Dimensional Atomic Gases (Z Hadzibabic and J Dalibard)
- Vortex Physics within the Quantum corridor Bilayer (H A Fertig and G Murthy)
Readership: Graduate scholars and researchers in condensed topic and theoretical physics.
Read Online or Download 40 Years of Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless Theory PDF
Best molecular physics books
How can we understand that molecules quite exist? an incredible clue got here from Brownian move, an idea built in 1827 through botanist Robert Brown, who spotted that tiny gadgets like pollen grains shook and moved unevenly while considered below a microscope. approximately eighty years later, in 1905, Albert Einstein defined this "Brownian movement" because the results of bombardment via molecules.
Built-in circuit (IC) reliability is of accelerating difficulty in present-day IC know-how the place the interconnect disasters considerably raises the failure price for ICs with reducing interconnect size and lengthening variety of interconnect degrees. Electromigration (EM) of interconnects has now turn into the dominant failure mechanism that determines the circuit reliability.
The publication will talk about sessions of proteins and their folding, in addition to the involvement of bioinformatics in fixing the protein folding challenge. In vivo and in vitro folding mechanisms are tested, in addition to the disasters of in vitro folding, a mechanism invaluable in knowing sickness because of misfolding.
Targeting the interface among arithmetic and physics, this e-book bargains an advent to the physics, the maths, and the numerical simulation of nonlinear structures in optics and atomic physics. The textual content covers a large spectrum of present study at the topic, that's an tremendous energetic box in physics and mathematical physics, with a truly vast diversity of implications, either for primary technological know-how and technological purposes: mild propagation in microstructured optical fibers, Bose-Einstein condensates, disordered platforms, and the newly rising box of nonlinear quantum mechanics.
- Water:Molecular Structure and Properties
- Quantum Communication and Information Technologies (Nato Science Series II:)
- Quantum Mechanics of Molecular Structures
- Phase Space Methods for Degenerate Quantum Gases (International Series of Monographs on Physics)
Additional resources for 40 Years of Berezinskii–Kosterlitz–Thouless Theory